Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Something different, but amazingly good! This is my aunt's recipe that I've modified. She adds sugar and doesn't add any spices, but I like to spice things up. This makes a lot - you'll have plenty for leftovers! Great for potlucks too. You don't need to add this much cheese, we just prefer it (yeah, I know; not very healthy)!
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes or 2 cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dried Italian spices
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to al dente directions.
- While pasta is cooking, cook bacon until very crisp.
- Save about 2 TBLS.
- of the bacon grease.
- Cut bacon up or break into small pieces.
- Place pasta in a large roaster.
- Brown onion and/or garlic in bacon drippings.
- Place this on top of pasta, then add tomatoes and spices.
- Mix well.
- Add cheeses to the top and mix well.
- You can save some cheese to add to the top before you bake it.
- (Not mixed in).
- Bake covered for 20 minutes at 350, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
This was delicious! I used a can of recipe ready tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, so I did not have to add the spices seperately. It is very, very good. A refreshing change from your ordinary baked spaghetti, the onions and bacon added lots of flavor. Thanks for a great recipe! This one is a definite keeper!!
Very good, I think next time I will use some kind of sauce in it, not too much, but i waned a more saucey flavor. I subbed Boca ground "beef" for the bacon (and some olive oil for the fat in which to cook the garlic and onion)
We had my parents over for dinner this evening, and made this. Everyone enjoyed it so much!! The only changes I made was to add chopped meatballs in place of bacon, added some mushrooms due to preference, and we used whole wheat spaghetti instead of regular. It was a great dish! Thank you so much!!