Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great side dish to replace potatoes or serve at brunch or breakfast. Can't get much Southern in my opinion.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (or medium cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or evaporated milk)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, FINELY chopped
- 4 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce (or red pepper sauce)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (optional)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or oil spray a 1-1/4 quart baking dish.
- Prepare quick or instant grits to yield 4 cups cooked grits.
- Remove pan from heat. Add salt,pepper, butter, cheese and milk and stir until cheese and butter have melted.
- Add garlic, onion, hot sauce and optional green chilies and stir until mixed.
- Fold in beaten eggs.
- Pour into baking dish and bake 40-45 mins or until top has set and lightly puffed.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.