Recipe by Brenda.
A creamy, cheesy, treasure of a find from the American Heart Association's cookbook. Traditionally we would think of this as a side dish, but at 396 calories per serving I wanted to make sure this recipe would fill us up without having to add large servings of meat or bread. It did! We like it served with 1/2 of a small grilled/broiled chicken breast and steamed veggies, but shrimp would also be a nice accompaniment. I am in constant search of low-fat, heart healthy recipes that actually fill us up. So often we find recipes listed as "low-fat" or "heart healthy" and the serving size is so small a person walks away from the table hungry or we are deceived by the words "low-fat" and eat 4x what the recommended portion size is defeating the original intent. This filling dish generously serves 4. We also like a tsp or so of onion powder added to the cheese mixture. If you are not on a sodium restricted diet, feel free to add salt to taste. The recipezaar database doesn't seem to recognize the yolk free egg noodles or low sodium worcestershire sauce so I will list the Nutrition Values as stated by the AHA. Calories 396, Total Fat 3.0 g, Sat Fat 1.0 g, Poly 0.5 g, Mono 0.5 g, Sodium 389 mg, Cholesterol 21 mg, Carbs 64 g, Protein 23 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 10 g. Dietary Exchange- 4 Starch, 2 Very Lean Meat.
Top Review by flower7
This is very good - very similar to another recipe I make regularly (which I like a bit better, but this was good also). I used light sour cream and cottage cheese and doubled the Worcestershire. I also added an extra 5 minutes to the baking time before adding the Parmesan. I think I will stick to my regular recipe, but I enjoyed trying another one :) Thanks for sharing!
- 8 ounces yolk-free egg noodles (such as No-Yolks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free sour cream
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese, drained
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 garlic cloves (we use 4)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit, 175 celsius, or gas mark 4.
- Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare the egg noodles per package directions omitting the oil and salt, drain well.
- While noodles are cooking, in a large bowl stir together the sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, garlic, worcestershire, and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked noodles, and spoon into the casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan and poppy seeds and bake for 5 minutes more.