Recipe by Sackville
This comes from a book of London recipes and fits the bill for a filling but cheap winter meal. Gravy beef is specified, but you could use any cut of beef you would normally use in a stew-like recipe. Remember to start a day or several hours ahead of time, to allow time for the peas to soak.
- 1 cup split peas
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 lb gravy beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 9 ounces onions, sliced
- 9 ounces carrots, sliced
- 9 ounces celery, sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- A day before or 6-7 hours before you want the soup, wash the peas in cold water.
- Remove any that are discoloured or that float.
- Drain and then let soak in the warm water for three hours, in a large oven-proof pan.
- After three hours, do not change the water but add the beef, bacon, onions, carrots, celery and seasonings.
- Add cold water to just cover the ingredients, then bake tightly covered at 180 C or 350 F for three hours or until reduced by about a third.
- Serve with lots of crusty bread.