Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from a traditional Cornish recipe.
- 4 small sole, filets about 1 pound total weight,cleaned and scaled
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 4 onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 dash lemon juice
- Season the fish both inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan; slice the onions coarsely in rings and soften them in the oil for about 10-15 minutes, without allowing them to brown.
- Put half the onions over the bottom of an ovenproof dish and lay the fish on top.
- Slice the tomatoes and lay them over the fish.
- Now spread the onions on top and sprinkle the oil (in which they were softened) over everything.
- Add the parsley and lemon juice.
- Season again lightly and cover the fish with kitchen foil.
- Bake at 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes for small filets, 35-40 minutes for larger filets.
- Serve as it is, in the dish.
This was terrific. So easy and so tasty. My 2 year old son and 5 year old niece had seconds. I'll make this alot.
Easy-to-make middle of the week fish dish, but need to watch closely because it is easy to overcook the fish. I used whole Rex Sole and cooked it for 40 minutes, which although the fish was cooked through it have a bit overcooked but not dry.