Recipe by SmHerndon
A recipe I have made over 10 years from the Little Rock UMC cookbook. So EASY! A great Sunday family dish. Note that when made with breasts or thighs, you may need to add more of the water/flour mix for the gravy.
Top Review by p0enut
My Mother LOVES the baked chicken we get here in Alabama at home-style restaurants. I always wanted to duplicate the recipe for her at home, but didn't know how.....'til now. MAN, this turned out good. I followed the recipe to the letter and it was EXACTLY like the southern-style baked chicken we get here in the deep south. SUPER easy, SUPER moist, and SUPER delicious :)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt, pepper & garlic. Place pieces skin side down, one layer deep in a shallow baking pan lined with foil. Dribble the melted butter over the chicken, distributing well. Close foil tightly. Place in 450°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is slightly brown.
- While baking, use this time to blend together water & flour until smooth; set aside.
- Remove chicken from oven; tilt pan and blend into the drippings the water/flour mix. Gravy will start to thicken. Stir it around over bottom of pan and turn chicken, then salt & pepper chicken.
- Return to oven and reduce heat to 350°F and bake 45 - 60 minutes.
- Baste once or twice, adding a little boiling water if gravy has cooked down low before chicken is done. serve with rice or mashed potatoes.