Recipe by WiGal
On our recent trip to Italy, dh and I enjoyed gelato, rice balls, wine, and baked smoked mozzarella. When we were served this in Rome at La Bruschetta's (on Via Sardegna), it was served straight out of the dish and gooey delicisio. Is best when it is kept hot otherwise the mozzarella starts to harden, so try to find a dish that can keep the heat. Mangiare! Recently made inside a foil packet for appetizer while RVIng and it worked great!
Top Review by momaphet
Unusually Delicious! I make a similar dish with fresh parmesan - the smoked mozzarella gives it a totally different but equally tasty flavor - A nice change. Made for the 2014 Culinary Quest for the Cruisin Culinary Queens.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Grease a small ovenproof dish with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- Layer half of the mozzarella, all the tomatoes, season with basil, garlic, salt, & pepper, top with rest of mozzarella.
- Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon virgin olive oil.
- Place on the middle rack under your broiler for 5-7 minutes or until the mozzarella is melted and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve hot.