Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting for ZWT6. This recipe is by Phil Vickery
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and well rinsed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 large smoked eel, skinned, boned and heads removed (2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pepper, fresh ground
- 10 ounces fish stock
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the vegetables into 1 inch pieces and separately steam until tender.
- Check mussels and discard bad ones.
- Heat wine in a pan, add the mussels and cover.
- Cook over high heat for a few minutes until mussels open, discarding any that are still closed.
- Remove the mussel meat from the open shells.
- Cut the eels into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add the eel pieces, and cook quickly to brown all over.
- Season well and place in the bottom of a 9 1/2 inch square pie dish, about 1 1/2 inch deep.
- Scatter the vegetables over the eels and season, then add mussels.
- Pour over the fish stock and dot with butter.
- Cut out a strip of pastry about 3/4 inch wide and press on to the rim of the pie dish.
- Then cut out an oval piece of pastry, which is just larger all around than the dish.
- Brush a little water over the pastry rim and top with the pastry lid.
- Press together to seal, then trim off excess pastry, knock up the edges and flute.
- Brush a little beaten egg over the lid and use a sharp knife to make a hole in the center.
- Bake the pie for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes before eating.