Charlotte J's Note:
Posting for ZWT6. This recipe is by Phil Vickery
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and well rinsed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 large smoked eel, skinned, boned and heads removed (2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pepper, fresh ground
- 10 ounces fish stock
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cut the vegetables into 1 inch pieces and separately steam until tender.
- 3Check mussels and discard bad ones.
- 4Heat wine in a pan, add the mussels and cover.
- 5Cook over high heat for a few minutes until mussels open, discarding any that are still closed.
- 6Remove the mussel meat from the open shells.
- 7Cut the eels into 2 inch pieces.
- 8Heat oil in a frying pan, add the eel pieces, and cook quickly to brown all over.
- 9Season well and place in the bottom of a 9 1/2 inch square pie dish, about 1 1/2 inch deep.
- 10Scatter the vegetables over the eels and season, then add mussels.
- 11Pour over the fish stock and dot with butter.
- 12Cut out a strip of pastry about 3/4 inch wide and press on to the rim of the pie dish.
- 13Then cut out an oval piece of pastry, which is just larger all around than the dish.
- 14Brush a little water over the pastry rim and top with the pastry lid.
- 15Press together to seal, then trim off excess pastry, knock up the edges and flute.
- 16Brush a little beaten egg over the lid and use a sharp knife to make a hole in the center.
- 17Bake the pie for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- 18Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Smoked Eel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.8
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.0 mg
- Sodium 334.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
premade puff pastry