From simplyrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT 8-Mexico.
Make and share this Baked Shrimp With Tomatillos recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb tomatillo, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice (or 1/2 cup tequila) or 1⁄4 cup water (or 1/2 cup tequila)
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned, deveined
- 1 cup cotija queso seco cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- lime juice
- black pepper
- heat the oil in the pan you will use for baking. Add the onions and jalapenos, cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat until the onions begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook a minute more.Add the tomatillos, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, until the tomatillos are cooked through, but still hold their shape. Sprinkle salt over the tomatillos as they are cooking.
- If using clam juice, add to the pan, turn up the heat and reduce by half. If using water, just add the 1/4 cup water without reducing.
- Add the cheese and shrimp. Cook in a 425 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven. Right before serving, mix in the cilantro and sprinkle with lime juice and freshly ground black pepper.
Outstanding...one of my Top 20 recipes of the year! We really enjoyed this as is, served in a bowl, but it would also be good in tortillas. I agree with the other reviewer's comment about losing the jalapeno flavor; I used one without seeds but may try two jalapenos with the seeds next time.
This was a big hit with DH (always a good thing, lol)! Per the other reviewers, I left the seeds in both of the chiles I used -- DH always prefers spicy over not spicy. I wanted to use tequila in the salsa, but I had forgotten that my pantry stock bottle of tequila had been used as an emergency thank-you gift for one of DH's workers, so the closest sub I had on hand was some cachaça. It was actually a pretty good sub-in. We ate this with sliced avocado and warm corn tortillas. I would definitely make this one again. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2013
Love anything with tomatillos, so this was just right for us. I had to sub fish for the shrimp since DH doesn't eat it and goat cheese for the cotija (it paired well/was delicious with it). Served it over rice and it was a winner!