Recipe by Epi Curious
From Cooking Light, April 2009. They suggest serving it with orzo accented with fresh herbs: cook one cup orzo according to package directions, omitting salt & fat. Drain; toss orzo with 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Yum! The bonus is that this is also a low-cal, low carb, high protein dish.
Top Review by howlinghounds
A great dish for company. Make ahead and bake when they arrive. I added some cayenne pepper, extra onion, and extra garlic and/or smoked paprika. I have had many requests for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons bottled clam juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped fresh flat-leaf)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine lemon juice and shrimp in a large bowl; toss well. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add to pan, swirling to coat. Add onion to pan; saute one minute. Add garlic; saute one minute. Add clam juice, wine, oregano, pepper and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp mixture. Place mixture in an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cheese evenly over mixture. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes or until shrimp are done and cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley; serve immediately.