Ever since I can remember my mother has made a "quickie" version of "Shrimp on Toast" for a fast lunch. It was buttered toast, canned shrimp and a cream sauce. Fast to do, and tasted fast. Tonight I'm ratcheting it up a few notches for her. Hope she will like it. I know there are other baked versions of Newburg but I don't seem to be able to find one quite like this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 French bread
- 1 lb shrimp, raw in shell (any size)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/4 cup water (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, hot
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarse ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Slice the bread on the diagonal about 1/2 inch thick, and toast. You have to have enough slices to cover the bottom of a 9x9 ovenproof pan twice. Set toast aside.
- 3Peel the shrimp and roughly chop. Set aside.
- 4Heat the butter in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion and celery until softened. Add the flour and whisk. Slowly add in the milk and simmer until thickened. Let cook for one minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- 5Stir in the sherry, water, curry, paprika, pepper and salt. Remove half of the sauce and set aside. (Note: the better the sherry the better the sauce will taste.).
- 6Reheat remaining sauce in the saucepan to a simmer and add the shrimp and half the cheese. Cook until shrimp are almost done, about 1-2 minutes.
- 7Place one layer of the toast in the bottom of the pan. Pour the shrimp mixture over the top and smooth out. Arrange remaining toast on top. Pour reserved sauce over the final layer of toast and sprinkle on remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 8Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Shrimp Newburg
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1046.3
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 303.8 mg
- Sodium 2977.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 59.6 g