adopt a greyhound's Note:
Found on the internet. For the mango coconut pepper sauce, I mixed 1 heaping t. coconut cream, Chalouta chipotle hot sauce and mango nectar. I used the empanada dough below (instead of discs) mix in food processor, then chill and divide into 14 balls, roll for making empanadas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped (and dried*)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, through garlic press
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, diced
- 1 tablespoon sauce from the chipotle pepper
- 1/4 cup mango coconut pepper sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, cleaned and chopped
- 2 scallions, minced
- 3/4 tablespoon kosher coarse salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotles chile, minced
- 1 tablespoon of sauce from the chipotle adobo seasoning
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Peel and devein shrimp and place them into a colander to drain.
- 2Note: I used frozen shrimp that is already peeled and deveined. All I had to do was remove the tail. Set up a cooking tray or baking sheet and with paper towels. Transfer the shrimp onto tray with paper towels. Cover with another row of paper towels and press down. Place shrimp in refrigerator.
- 3In the meantime, remove the empanada pastry discs from freezer and cut packages open. Allow to defrost for 10-15 minutes before you start separating them. Each disc is separated by a piece of plastic. All you have to do is pry them gently apart and the warmth from your hands is enough to make them pliable to work with.
- 4Chop and combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Pull shrimp out of refrigerator and discard paper towels. Chop shrimp into small pieces and add to the bowl with the onion and herbs. Mix well and set aside.
- 5Line three baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray parchment with cooking spray.
- 6Separate the discs and place a heaping tablespoon of the shrimp mixture into the center of a disc. Wet you fingers with water and dampen the inside edge of the pastry disc. Fold the disc in half so the ends meet and crimp the edges with a fork. Place the empanadas on the baking sheets. They can be right next to each other. You should be able to fit 12-14 on each baking sheet. You can use the space in the center of the baking sheet to fit in a couple more.
- 7Brush the egg wash on each empanada.
- 8Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Directions for sauce.
- 10Add ingredients to small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Shrimp Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 743.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo