Recipe by MarraMamba
I love shrimp balls, but not the deep fried ones. Steamed dumplings are great but often take more time than I want. These are easier than apple pie but taste terrific and are low fat. I often leave out the water chestnuts. Other additions are green onions or garlic to taste.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I took Mikekey's advice and added more cornstarch (2 tblsps). I eyeballed the shrimp mixture and the 2 tblsps 'felt' right. The shrimp balls firmed up very nicely and were great finger food. Great flavour, easy to make, and I LOVED that they weren't fried!
- 2 lbs shrimp, minced (shelled and deveined)
- 6 canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- green onion, minced
- garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place everything into a bowl and mix together.
- Shape mixture into small balls. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Spray balls with olive oil (I use a spray bottle) and bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges or chili sauce (sweet or not).