Recipe by gingerkitten D
My husband LOVES these. I came up with these with what I had on hand. I think they would be even better fried, but I am trying to be good. This is one of the best dinners I have made.
Top Review by airlink diva
I love chimichangas! I love fried foods,but trying to cut back. This appealed to me because you bake them and it ends with a fried taste!
I had an eye of round roast and cooked it in a crock pot with cumin,rotel tomatoes, garlic and onions. I used rotel tomatoes, green chilies, mexican cheese, onions from the cooking, and rice.
They came out so good! They even taste great two days later at lunch.
In fact, I'm cooking another batch right now for my lunch!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak (a lean cut)
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks, broken into thirds
- 1 knorr beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, grated
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sour cream
- refried beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the steak, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and bullion in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
- (this takes longer with tough cuts of meat) Remove meat from liquid, shred and put aside.
- Strain liquid and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and add onions and garlic.
- Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and mix in well.
- Add salsa, chilies, and shredded meat and combine.
- Measure 1/2 cup of the meat cooking liquid and add to the mixture-- allow to simmer until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
- Spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray--give it a fairly heavy coating of spray.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Warm your tortillas.
- Lay out one tortilla put 1/6 of the mixture in the center and fold up the bottom end.
- Top with 1/6 of the shredded cheese.
- Fold the right side and then the left and roll up the chimichanga.
- Put seam side down in the glass dish-- fold remaining 5 chimichangas.
- Coat all the chimichangas with a very liberal coating of spray, and put dish into oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then carefully turn the chimichangas, spray again, and return the dish to the oven.
- After 5 more minutes turn the chimichangas once more, give them a good spray and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- When the chimichangas are crisp and golden brown they are ready for eating.
- Put them on plates and top with lettuce, tomato, beans, sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.