Recipe by HokiesMom
Just a lovely comforting dessert that I've enjoyed making over the years and a nice change from the standard baked apple pie. It is great using the Girl Scout Shortbread cookies too. You can also substitute the shortbread cookies with oatmeal cookies.
Top Review by diner524
OMG!!! A must try recipe!! Just loved the shortbread cookies in this recipe, I used Lorna Doones cookies, which I had one sleeve of cookies leftover from a cheescake recipe I made!! I made 1/2 of the recipe, using 1 1/2 apples for the 2 cups and used the remainder of the box of cookies. Just loved the combination of cookies, sugar, cinnamon and the almonds toasted on top!!! Served with a scoop of ice cream and was soooo happy!!! I would have this over apple pie any day!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe Hokies!!!
- 6 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 (10 ounce) box shortbread cookies, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 cups tart apples (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 6 tablesppons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add cookie crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Transfer crumbs to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbls. butter, the sliced apples, 1 tbls. sugar and lemon juice to skillet.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until apples are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, layer half of the apples and half of the crumbs.
- Top with remaining apples, crumbs and then the almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.