Another food that we like a lot - squash! We make calabaza (pumpkin) very often so when I saw this dish I hopped on it. We added a few things from the original which was taken from marthastewart.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for baking dish
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- coarse salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, halved & seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 lb small shell pasta
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices crusty baguette, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1 1/2 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 3Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 4Add onions & peppers; season with salt and pepper.
- 5Cover; cook until onions are soft and release liquid, 15 minutes.
- 6Uncover; raise heat to medium.
- 7Cook, stirring, until onions are browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Stir in 1 teaspoon rosemary.
- 9Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes less than package instructions suggest.
- 10Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking water.
- 11Return pasta to pot; add crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
- 12Stir squash and reserved pasta water into onions; simmer 2 minutes.
- 13Toss squash mixture and 1/2 cup Parmesan or more, with pasta.
- 14Transfer to prepared dish.
- 15Combine bread cubes with remaining Parmesan, rosemary, and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- 16Top pasta with bread cubes; bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 17Serve with a salad of sliced tmatoes and crunchy bread sticks.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Shells With Winter Squash
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.4
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 653.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g