1/1 Photo of Baked Shells and Broccoli With Ham and Cheesy-Creamy Cauliflower
One visible veggie and one in the sauce....lots of nutrition in something that everyone will want to eat. Good for dinner, breakfast or lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored and chopped (3 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 medium shallots, roughly chopped
- coarse salt
- ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces pecorino cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 lb medium multigrain pasta shells
- 1/4 lb sliced smoked ham, chopped
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets (5 cups)
- 1/2 cup toasted whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, for serving (Japanese breadcrumbs) (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower, garlic, shallots, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until softened but not brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with flour; stir to coat well.
- 2Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently simmer until cauliflower is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- 3Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer all to a blender, and puree with nutmeg and half the pecorino until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until slightly tender but not fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain well; return to pot.
- 6Add ham, broccoli, and cauliflower sauce; toss to combine.
- 7Transfer to a ovenproof 3 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining pecorino, and bake until bubbling in center, about 30 minutes.
- 8Heat broiler, and broil until golden brown on top, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 9Divide among dishes, top with breadcrumbs, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Shells and Broccoli With Ham and Cheesy-Creamy Cauliflower
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.6
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 814.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g