Recipe by mollypaul
A wonderful fish dish just lovely served with homemade tomato sauce and lemon wedges. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Preparation time approximate.
- 3 lbs whole striped bass, cleaned and scaled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, hard-cooked and chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish stock or 3 tablespoons chicken stock or 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse fish, brush inside and out with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Make a stuffing of the remaining ingredients; stuff the fish and sew edges together securely.
- Place fish in prepared baking dish and lightly sprinkle with flour; dot with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.