A delightful scallop recipe, enhanced with cheese, wine and spices. The mushrooms also give the recipe another different taste.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano cheese preferred)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika, Hungarian paprika preferred
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lb fresh scallops, rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large heavy bottom frying pan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; add green pepper and onion and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to pan and sprinkle in flour, salt and lemon pepper; mix well and cook on low heat for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add half and half cream, cheese, paprika and nutmeg and stir to mix.
- Return to heat and on medium-high heat return to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture is thick and smooth stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, stir in scallops and wine.
- Spoon mixture into buttered scallop shells or buttered baking dishes, about 1 cup size.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs with Italian seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over scallop mixture in each dish.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until bubbling and lightly browned on top.
- Serve immediately.
- If scallops are large, cut into smaller chunks before adding to mixture.