Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
The smoky taste of the bacon adds just the right counterpoint to the other ingredients.
- 4 slice bacon, quartered crosswise
- 12-16 large sea scallops (about 1 lb. total)
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 2 large golden delicious apples, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 118.29 ml apple cider
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Saute bacon in a large skillet over med-low heat just until it renders its fat, about 4 minutes, do not brown.
- Transfer to a piece of paper towel and drain.
- Discard the bacon fat and wipe the skillet clean.
- Lightly butter a medium baking dish and arrange the scallops in a single layer, leaving space between them; then place the bacon on top of the scallops.
- Bake 10-12 minutes just until the bacon browns and the scallops are cooked.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter in the skillet until melted.
- Add the apple wedges and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring and turning until the apples are golden, about 5 minutes.
- When the scallops are cooked, remove from the oven and spoon off the juices; add the juices to the apples, along with the cider and lemon juice.
- Heat, stirring gently, over high heat until the juices boil and coat the apples, 3-4 minutes.
- Place the bacon-topped scallops on each of 4 dinner plates, dividing evenly.
- Arrange 4 apples slices in a fan design on each plate.
- Spoon the skillet juices over the scallops; season with salt and pepper and serve.
This was interesting. A nice variety of ingredients. I used red delicious apples. !/2 lemon juice. I seasoned the scallops with white pepper then topped with bacon. I reduced the cider sauce down to very thick. Made for Comfort cafe http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=288536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=915 Thanks.