Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
So savory and delicious.
- 1 large breadfruit (Taufolo)
- 3 tablespoons green onion tops
- 1 diced yellow sweet onion
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh mixed herbs
- 1 cup cooked pork or 1 cup ham or 1 cup corned beef
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup carrot (cooked and diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt & pepper, combined (or to taste)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Wash breadfruit and puncture deeply about 6-8 times. Bake at 350 deg. F. for 1 1/2 hours.
- In large fry pan, saute onions and peppers add mixed herbs and cook a few minutes longer. Cut meat into 1/2" cubes and stir into pan.
- Dissolve bouillon in water and add with carrots to pan. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 15 minute.
- Cut top of the baked breadfruit and scoop out the pulp leaving a shell (about 1/2" thick). Grate pulp and fold into hot onion and pepper mixture. Stir in the beaten egg. Spoon everything back into the shell. Secure the top with toothpicks, wrap in heavy foil and bake at 425deg. F. for 30-40 minutes.
- Unwrap, cut into wedges and serve hot.
Wow what a wonderful ulu recipe. I often make baked ulu or ulu poi, but this one sounds super. Mahalo!
I have been looking for a Taufolo recipe. I cannot wait to try this it sounds delicious.