Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This easy-to-assemble casserole can be put together the night before, refrigerated and baked just before serving on Mother's Day. This also is an easy recipe for the kids to help with . Let them whisk the eggs, layer bread and pour the egg mixture.
- 3⁄4 lb maple breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 8 slices oatmeal bread
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Coat a 9x9-inch square baking pan or a small casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high, crumble sausage and cook until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Drain any excess oil in the pan, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and maple surup.
- To assemble, fit 4 slices of the bread into the bottom of the prepared pan. Yo may also need to trim the bread. Arrange sausage meat over bread, then top with 6 slices of cheese, breaking as needed to arrange in a single layer over all of the sausage and bread.
- Arrange remaining bread over the cheese, then top with remaining cheese. Pour egg mixture over top.
- At this point, the pan can be covered and refrigerated overnight, if desired.
- Otherwise, heat oven to 375F and let the french toast rest for 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the egg. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffy, golden brown and set. Serve warm.
This was quite easy to make, but we really didn't really care for it. Thanks for sharing, though.