Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yet another regional variation of a favourite Scottish national dish.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 lb onion
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease your baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes; peel and chop the onions.
- Dice the sausages.
- In a baking dish put a layer of potatoes, a layer of onions and a layer of sausage.
- Season to taste and sprinkle over half the herbs.
- Continue the layers until you have used up all the ingredients, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the herbs.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in 1 pint of hot water and pour into the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
I think I was supposed to use sausage links, but I used bulk sausage cause that's all I had. I had to cook it much longer for the potatoes to be done. There's was also alot of liquid in it in the end. I wouldn't say this is a great recipe, but it also isn't a bad one either so I went down the center with a 3 star.
Very nice done in oven I did this for the first time today but I only put half of the stock and half milk like I do when making them in a pot
This sounds a novel variation and one that I will have to try. I have always done stovies on top of the cooker - I have never tried it done in the oven (should this be renamed "ovenies" instead of "stovies"? lol