1/5 Photos of Baked Sauerkraut With Apples
1 hr 15 mins
Mrs B's Note:
This German recipe is borrowed (with a tweak) from Recipes4us.co.uk. The original recipe calls for 120ml beef stock, but I wanted a vegetarian version. You could revert to the beef stock or replace my suggested vegetable stock with a small amount (say ½ teaspoon) of Marmite or Vegemite dissolved in 120ml of very hot water. Recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the butter in a large oven proof lidded casserole dish, add the onions and sauté until soft and transparent.
- 2Add the sauerkraut, mix well and cook, uncovered, over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the apples to the sauerkraut mixture together with the wine and enough stock to cover; mix well then continue to cook over a low heat for 30 minutes; preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, gas mark 3 during this cooking time.
- 4Stir in the sugar and celery seeds then cover and transfer to the oven; bake for 30 minutes and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Sauerkraut With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 1205.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: