Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderfull with all kinds of bbq meals!! from the local newpaper.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large walla walla onions or 1 large Spanish onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 whole tart cooking apples, sliced and chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained and dried 'til crunchy
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- hot sauce
- Melt butter and bacon drippings if using in a large frypan.
- Swirl to mix.
- Add onion and apples, saute until nearly tender.
- Combine with sauekraut in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, undrained, brown sugar, wine and hot sauce.
- Stir well and turn into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake at 325f degrees 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake 30 to 45 minutes more.
OMG! Dorothy, this is so good, it is almost beyond words! Besides being a fantastic sauerkraut side dish, I see the potential for this to be a great topping for cabbage rolls. I will definitely be covering up mine with this the next time I fix those! I said that to my husband and he was nodding his head emphatically, YES! YES! YES! Not only will this be a regular in my collection, I imagine it won't be long before I have this recipe memorized! Thanks, Dorothy!
Well, Dorothy, I thought this was wonderful. But my PITB kids wouldn't eat it. I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever like anything! Keep posting, and I'll keep trying. BTW, I wasn't 100% sure how to "dry" the sauerkraut, so you might want to add that to the directions for us dummies.