Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from Quaker Oats and it's great to serve for brunch or even with barbequed chicken, ribs or steak. I don't like grits but I love this dish!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits, Uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (Pepper Jack cheese kicks it up a notch)
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned green chilies
- 2 eggs
- 6 slices pimento pepper (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 6 medium muffin cups or custard cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- If desired place 2 strips of pimento in bottom of each to form an X.
- Bring water to a boil, slowly stir in grits and salt.
- Reduce heat; simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon into prepared cups filling to top.
- Cover with foil.
- Place cups in shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until set.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, unmold unto serving platter.
This was great. My only complaint was that I thought it needed just a bit of butter. But on the plus side my grits hating DH ate it and actually was upset that I ate the leftovers :). Great recipe and very easy.
There is a little place up in the Sacramento Mountains that serves a baked grits dish that we love. This is very close. I really liked this because it can be reduced and served to 2. When reduced it calls for 2/3 egg; however, I added a whole egg and it worked great. Definately a keeper.