Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted to make my Girlfriend dinner one night and didn't know how to acutally make salmon. So I looked at about 30 recipes and found one common factor, cook until flakey. so that's what I did.
- 1 (3 -5 lb) salmon fillets
- 4 -6 red potatoes (about 2 per person)
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 small yellow squash
- 2 lemons
- 5 -6 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- chili powder
- Cut potatoes into small bite sized chunks.
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash into 1/4" slices.
- Mince all garlic. Use more or less to your taste.
- Slice lemon in to 8ths.
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- In a big skillet put 3-4 Tbsp of olive oil. Turn heat on medium to medium-high.
- Place the potatoes in the skillet and season to taste with garlic (a little less than half), chili powder (I also use Cayenne pepper), salt, pepper, oregano, basil and thyme.
- Toss in pan or use a spatula so that all the potatoes are evenly covered.
- Season zucchini and squash the same as the potatoes.
- Cook potatoes for 10-15 minutes until ALMOST done. Turn heat to medium-low or medium.
- Add zucchini and squash to potatoes and toss (or turn with spatula).
- Wash salmon fillet and place in large square baking pan 11 X 7 X 2 is good (just know that it has to be big enough for the salmon and all the potatoes and squash).
- Score the salmon length-wise (as if you were going to make 3 strips of fish) about half way through the meat. DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THOROUGH.
- In the two pockets you just made in the fish, stuff the minced garlic. Then squeeze 2 or 3 of the lemon slices (juice AND pulp) over the fish, and place two tablespoons of butter (margarine can be used, but will make the fish greasy) over each pocket.
- Sprinkle salmon with chili powder, and pepper.
- After potatoes and squash are done (potatoes are soft) dump the whole skillet over the salmon and put in the oven on the middle rack and bake until the salmon is flakey (about 30 minutes).
I must say that recipe is one of the best I have tried from this site. I love the fact that it is healthy but VERY tasty. I recommend everyone to try it!
This was great. I used regular baking potatoes, only one kind of squash, italian seasoning, lots of garlic. Everybody loved it!