Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty, nutritious little casserole that's easy to make. Easy on the pocketbook and makes great leftovers if you're cooking for one.
- Drain salmon juice into a cup, add milk.
- Place in saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, and hot sauce.
- Cook, stirring, until thick.
- Flake salmon (meat only) and add to mixture along with lemon juice, egg whites, bell pepper and oatmeal.
- Place mixture in a 4" x 8" pan and cook at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
I made this pert he directions and it was very bland. I will make it again but I will add a lot of spice. Garlic more lemon, more hot sause, maybe some onion powder. I did end up melting so cheddar over to thop to give it some flavor and that helped a lot, but i would not have need to add as much or any if it had more flavor to begin with.
We loved this! We both agreed that it was a solid four stars for flavor, but it was so easy to make, healthy, plus uses ingredients that we usually have on hand - all of which made it a five-star recipe for us. I did as other reviewers suggested and used one whole egg in place of the egg whites, otherwise made no changes. I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be an entire bell pepper, so I added a quarter of one large red. We'll definitely make this one again. Thanks for posting!!
Not bad, but I have to agree with BSandy in having to fry the slices for a better taste. I'd also add more lemon juice to combat the fishiness of the salmon.