Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This creamy pudding is made even more mouthwatering when infused with a saffron flavor. It would be a perfect complement to end a traditional Indian meal.
- 1⁄4 long-grain rice (I have used basmati effectively)
- 12 saffron threads
- 3 cups milk
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts or 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 egg (beated)
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- nutmeg (for sprinkling) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring milk to a boil with saffron threads, cardamom and cinnamon, while stirring frequently to prevent scalding.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, add the rice, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice has softened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the sugar, coconut and nuts.
- Beat in the egg, single cream and butter.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until set or lightly golden.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or dribbled with additional cream.
- Note: Coconut and nuts are optional and you may substitute one or either for golden raisins or any dried fruit, according to your taste.
I have been on a quest to find the perfect Indian Rice Pudding, and now the search is over. This is wonderful! I followed the instructions to the letter, and just loved the contrasting flavours and textures of the cardamom, the coconut (I used freshly grated), the slivered almonds, the cinnamon and the creamy rice. We ate it warm from the oven, dribbled with additional cream as suggested, and with a scoop or two of vanilla icecream. Thank you for posting this delicious recipe.
Wonderful flavor..I did not have cardamon in pods but rather seeds,so I used 8-10 seeds even though a pod holds many seeds. I just couldnt imagine 6 pods?? Either way I loved this recipe. My favorite rice pudding recipe now...Thank U....I did omit the nuts and went for coconut and raisans..YUMMY...