Recipe by bayousong
This makes a lovely brown roux. It makes a lot, but it will freeze. I divide it up and always have a roux ready and waiting for gumbo or anything else. Freeze in small amounts.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour and oil in an iron skillet or heavy oven proof container.
- I use a cast iron dutch oven.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, STIRRING EVERY 15 MINUTES with a whisk.
- The color determines the doneness.
- Cool before storing.
- You must stir every 15 minutes or it will burn.
- In my oven 1 1/2 hours is perfect.
- After removing from the oven, stir again and stir every few minutes until it cools and quits browning.