1 hr 2 mins
This makes a lovely brown roux. It makes a lot, but it will freeze. I divide it up and always have a roux ready and waiting for gumbo or anything else. Freeze in small amounts.
My Private Note
- 1Mix the flour and oil in an iron skillet or heavy oven proof container.
- 2I use a cast iron dutch oven.
- 3Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, STIRRING EVERY 15 MINUTES with a whisk.
- 4The color determines the doneness.
- 5Cool before storing.
- 6You must stir every 15 minutes or it will burn.
- 7In my oven 1 1/2 hours is perfect.
- 8After removing from the oven, stir again and stir every few minutes until it cools and quits browning.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Roux
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.3
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g