Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Per serving: 267 calories, 8 g fat, 3 g fiber
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup brown rice (short or medium grain)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (or 3 1/2 c. vegetable broth)
- 8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas or 1 cup snow peas, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese (3 1/2 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 -2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, preferably organic
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof deep saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook/stir occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer until it has mostly evaporated.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the rice is just tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shortly before the risotto is done, steam asparagus, peas, and bell pepper until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Fold the steamed vegetables, Parmesan, parsley, chives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto (taste and add salt, if needed, too); serve immediately.