1 hr 50 mins
This is a great, mouth-watering recipe! I have just left the seeds in the tomatoes, while pureeing them.It's up to you. For the sake of this recipe, find the Italian tomatoes. This recipe just won't turn out the way it should, if you don't. San Marzano is the best brand, if you can find it. This recipe has the times printed, but it does get a little involved, to some. The taste will make it worth your while.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into approx. 1/3-inch dice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 large zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Cook the rigatoni in a large pot of salted water, stirring occsasionally, until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot while preparing the sauce.
- 3Puree the tomatoes with their juices in a blender or food processor and remove the seeds by passing the puree through a fine strainer placed over the bowl.
- 4In a large non-stick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.Add half of the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggplant and place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant.
- 5Remove vegetable oil from skillet and add the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini and onion and saute' for 6 minutes.
- 6Add the tomato puree, basil, and oregano. Simmer over medium heat until sauce is reduced, about 15 minutes. Stir in eggplant and season`with salt and pepper.
- 7Fold eggplant and zucchini sauce into the rigatoni along with mozzarella and reserved cooking water.
- 8Transfer the pasta to a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly over the top. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- 9Serve the pasta piping hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rigatoni With Zucchini and Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.2
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 400.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 26.0 g