1 hr 20 mins
This is a nice dish using button mushrooms and porcini mushrooms to give it a wonderful earthy flavor. The recipe makes alot, but can be scaled down easily. It can also be made ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 lbs hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 4 lbs button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 lbs rigatoni pasta
- 6 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- fresh rosemary sprig, for garnish
- 1Rinse porcini mushrooms. Place in medium bowl. Add 4 cups hot water, cover, and let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Chop porcini.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in each of 2 heavy large pots over medium heat. Divide onions between pots; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Divide sausage between pots. Increase heat to high and cook until no longer pink, breaking up into small pieces with back of fork, about 12 minutes.
- 4Divide button mushrooms and chopped rosemary between pots and stir until mushrooms begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- 5Divide porcini, wine, and bay leaves between pots and boil until almost all liquid evaporates, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes.
- 6Divide porcini soaking liquid between pots, leaving sediment behind. Divide beef broth between pots. Boil until sauce is syrupy, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 7Divide half and half between pots; boil until thickened slightly, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. (Sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and chill. Rewarm before continuing.).
- 8Brush four 3 1/2-quart glass or porcelain baking dishes with oil. Cook pasta in 2 large pots of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Divide pasta between sauce in pots; stir to coat. Mix 3 cups cheese into each pot. Season pasta with salt and pepper. Divide among prepared baking dishes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- 9Preheat oven to 375°F Cover dishes with foil. Bake pasta just until hot but not bubbling, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve with additional cheese.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rigatoni With Sausage and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.9
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 165.7 mg
- Sodium 1311.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 37.3 g