Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a favorite in my kitchen. It's a perfect Sunday meal. This sauce isn't your typical tomato saucy meat rigatoni. Please enjoy,it's special enough for Christmas eve dinner too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large pan heat oil& butter over low heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, basil and cook until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Raise heat to moderate, add ground beef, fennel seed, salt and black pepper, cook until no longer pink.
- Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan and continue to cook.
- Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease 3 quart baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling water cook rigatoni until almost al dente, about 12 minutes.
- Drain, toss pasta with meat sauce.
- Put 1/2 of the mixture in dish, sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella, cover with remaining pasta mixture, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until pasta is hot, about 20 minutes.
I tried this recipe last week because my younger child loves baked rigatoni.
I made some changes to the recipe. I did not use celery. Just with the tomato I found the recipe
not red enough, so today I will be making this recipe again adding some tomato sauce.
This recipe is a keeper and I love wine in my cooking.
I hope this helps