Melba Sundevil's Note:
This is a favorite in my kitchen. It's a perfect Sunday meal. This sauce isn't your typical tomato saucy meat rigatoni. Please enjoy,it's special enough for Christmas eve dinner too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1In large pan heat oil& butter over low heat.
- 2Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, basil and cook until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- 3Raise heat to moderate, add ground beef, fennel seed, salt and black pepper, cook until no longer pink.
- 4Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes with juices and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- 6Stir in parmesan and continue to cook.
- 7Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease 3 quart baking dish.
- 8In a large pot of boiling water cook rigatoni until almost al dente, about 12 minutes.
- 9Drain, toss pasta with meat sauce.
- 10Put 1/2 of the mixture in dish, sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella, cover with remaining pasta mixture, and top with remaining cheese.
- 11Bake until pasta is hot, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rigatoni With Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.9
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 157.4 mg
- Sodium 1011.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced tomatoes in tomato puree