Recipe by Vicki in CT
Delizioso! Olives, sausage, and tomatoes combined for a terrific dish. This is the type dish that I don't really measure; I just throw in a lot of garlic and basil until it looks about right.
Top Review by janj289
This was an unexpectedly absolutely delicious dish! I was visiting family made it on a spur of the moment thought for a day after Thanksgiving dinner. I shared it with family and they raved about it and asked me for the website and saved it in their electronic devices! Tasted good for a few days! It was such of an attractive dish that I posted a photo of it here.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 14.79 ml garlic, chopped
- 793.78 g crushed tomatoes, Sclafani quick crushed preferred
- 453.59 g tomato sauce
- 226.79 g water
- 149.68 g kalamata olive, drained and pitted and coarsely chopped (the kind in olive oil)
- 21.26 g basil, coarsely chopped
- 453.59 g rigatoni pasta, I get gigantoni when I can find it
- 453.59 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to directions, making sure to keep it al dente. Drain and place back in cooking pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in skillet cook sausage and onions until sausage is done (crumble sausage as it cooks). Drain well and set aside.
- In same skillet add olive oil and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Return sausage and onion to pan with garlic.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Stir well. Cook at a high simmer. Add olives. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in basil.
- Pour tomato sauce over pasta and toss to coat well.
- Place layer of 1/3 of pasta in bottom of Pam sprayed casserole. Top with 1/2 of mozzarella. Top with another third of pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella. Repeat with final layer of pasta. Cover with foil.
- Cook in oven for thirty minutes.
- Remove foil and top with parmesan. Cook an additional 15-25 minutes. (We like it crunchy on top so cook the full 25 minutes. Cook it how you like it.).