1/4 Photos of Baked Rigatoni With Kalamata Olives
1 hr 10 mins
Vicki in CT's Note:
Delizioso! Olives, sausage, and tomatoes combined for a terrific dish. This is the type dish that I don't really measure; I just throw in a lot of garlic and basil until it looks about right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, Sclafani quick crushed preferred
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces water
- 1/3 lb kalamata olive, drained and pitted and coarsely chopped (the kind in olive oil)
- 3/4 ounce basil, coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta, I get gigantoni when I can find it
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cook pasta according to directions, making sure to keep it al dente. Drain and place back in cooking pot. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in skillet cook sausage and onions until sausage is done (crumble sausage as it cooks). Drain well and set aside.
- 4In same skillet add olive oil and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- 5Return sausage and onion to pan with garlic.
- 6Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Stir well. Cook at a high simmer. Add olives. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in basil.
- 7Pour tomato sauce over pasta and toss to coat well.
- 8Place layer of 1/3 of pasta in bottom of Pam sprayed casserole. Top with 1/2 of mozzarella. Top with another third of pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella. Repeat with final layer of pasta. Cover with foil.
- 9Cook in oven for thirty minutes.
- 10Remove foil and top with parmesan. Cook an additional 15-25 minutes. (We like it crunchy on top so cook the full 25 minutes. Cook it how you like it.).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rigatoni With Kalamata Olives
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 930.0
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 174.0 mg
- Sodium 2434.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 47.7 g