Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Aurora sauce is a combination of bechamel, cream and tomato puree. My boys love this simple, quick dish.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce (perferably homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 8 teaspoons toasted breadcrumbs
- Make bechamel sauce using 6 tablespoons butter, flour and milk.
- (Melt butter, add flour and cook until bubbly, then add milk and whisk until thickened).
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain, mix well with sauce and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Turn into buttered oven dish.
- Mix remaining cheese with breadcrumbs.
- Top casserole with this mixture, then dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
Really loved this dish, I used whole grain penne and mixed in a handful of spinach before baking to make it a tad healthier. Delicious and quick meal!
This was delish, tho I followed a couple of reviewer's advice, and added a good pinch of crushed red peppers to the sauce, and a fair sprinkling of mozzarella right underneath the breadcrumb/parm topping. I think next time I would add a little basil too! Wonderful, and will be served as a side dish again! Thanks for sharing, mary winecoff.