Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
We really enjoyed the wonderful and fresh ingredients in this dish. It makes a great one meal dish or it can also be a side dish. It was in the May, 2003rd edition of the Good Food magazine that I got from the library.
- 2 3⁄4 lbs small vine tomatoes or 2 3⁄4 lbs small plum tomatoes
- golden caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large aubergine (about 1 lb)
- 1 1⁄8 lbs rigatoni pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 ounces black olives, stoned and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1 lb buffalo mozzarella
- 1 3⁄4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus extra for serving
- hot sauce (optional) or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 320ºF.
- Halve the tomatoes through their equator, rather than their core.
- Stand them cut-side up on a shallow baking tray (I use a nonstick jelly-roll pan).
- Scatter a little salt, pepper, & sugar over the cut surfaces and drizzle with estra virgin olive oil; roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergine into rounds, brush both sides with oil and spread out in one layer on another tray.
- After the tomatoes have been roasting for 45 minutes, put the aubergines in with them and roast for another 45 minutes.
- Towards the end of the time, cook the pasta in plenty of gently boiling well-salted water until nearly al dente - it should be undercooked because it finishes off in the oven.
- Drain well and pour into a large bowl.
- Have ready 4 T of extra-virgin olive oil mixed with crushed garkic and olives.
- Toss the oil mixture through the pasta and turn half of it into a 2 5/8 qt ovenproof dish.
- Remove the tomatoes and aubergines from the oven. (You can prepare them up to 24 hours ahead.).
- Turn up the oven to 356ºF.
- Scatter half the tomatoes and their juices over the pasta in the dish.
- Roughly tear the basil leaves and scatter on top.
- Drain the mozzarella, pat dry with kitchen paper, then slice, very thinly.
- Lay two-thirds of the slices over the tomatoes.
- Grind black pepper over and scatter over the aubergine.
- Add the rest of the pasta, top with remaining tomatoes and mozzarella and then the parmesan.
- (Can be made up to 3-4 hours in advance.).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until piping hot & the top is extra crusty.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of basil and extra parmesan; a salad of baby greens topped with oil & vinegar and a warm loaf of a rustic Italian bread with butter and of course some type of robust wine.