2 hrs 20 mins
We really enjoyed the wonderful and fresh ingredients in this dish. It makes a great one meal dish or it can also be a side dish. It was in the May, 2003rd edition of the Good Food magazine that I got from the library.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 lbs small vine tomatoes or 2 3/4 lbs small plum tomatoes
- golden caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large aubergine (about 1 lb)
- 1 1/8 lbs rigatoni pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 ounces black olives, stoned and chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1 lb buffalo mozzarella
- 1 3/4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus extra for serving
- hot sauce (optional) or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 320ºF.
- 2Halve the tomatoes through their equator, rather than their core.
- 3Stand them cut-side up on a shallow baking tray (I use a nonstick jelly-roll pan).
- 4Scatter a little salt, pepper, & sugar over the cut surfaces and drizzle with estra virgin olive oil; roast for 45 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, slice the aubergine into rounds, brush both sides with oil and spread out in one layer on another tray.
- 6After the tomatoes have been roasting for 45 minutes, put the aubergines in with them and roast for another 45 minutes.
- 7Towards the end of the time, cook the pasta in plenty of gently boiling well-salted water until nearly al dente - it should be undercooked because it finishes off in the oven.
- 8Drain well and pour into a large bowl.
- 9Have ready 4 T of extra-virgin olive oil mixed with crushed garkic and olives.
- 10Toss the oil mixture through the pasta and turn half of it into a 2 5/8 qt ovenproof dish.
- 11Remove the tomatoes and aubergines from the oven. (You can prepare them up to 24 hours ahead.).
- 12Turn up the oven to 356ºF.
- 13Scatter half the tomatoes and their juices over the pasta in the dish.
- 14Roughly tear the basil leaves and scatter on top.
- 15Drain the mozzarella, pat dry with kitchen paper, then slice, very thinly.
- 16Lay two-thirds of the slices over the tomatoes.
- 17Grind black pepper over and scatter over the aubergine.
- 18Add the rest of the pasta, top with remaining tomatoes and mozzarella and then the parmesan.
- 19(Can be made up to 3-4 hours in advance.).
- 20Bake for 20-25 minutes, until piping hot & the top is extra crusty.
- 21Serve hot with a sprinkle of basil and extra parmesan; a salad of baby greens topped with oil & vinegar and a warm loaf of a rustic Italian bread with butter and of course some type of robust wine.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rigatoni With Aubergine & Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.8
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 754.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 35.0 g