I saw this on a cooking show a long time ago - I think it was Ciao Italia, but I'm not sure. It's very easy to make, and the addition of the cannellini beans makes a big difference in taste and heartiness, in my opinion.
- 1 lb ground sausage (I use Sage flavor)
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook sausage with the minced garlic until sausage is not longer pink and crumbled. Drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beans and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Rigatoni according to package directions, just until al dente. Drain and lightly butter.
- Add cooked pasta to the meat sauce and toss until well coated.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with Pam.
- Pour HALF of the pasta mixture in pan; Sprinkle HALF of the mozzarella cheese evenly on top; REPEAT.
- Sprinkle grated Romano cheese on the top. Cover with foil and bake for 20 5- 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crusty garlic bread and a salad.
pretty tasty! used 1lb of homemade german sausage and seasoned it with garlic powder, minced onions, cracked pepper, fennel seeds. dumped in the white kidney beans and raddiatore pasta as it holds sauce very well. used a 4 cheese spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato sauce. omitted the ital seasoning. sprinkled about 3 1/2c colby jack cheese and 1/2c romano. Wonderful filling supper. thanks!!
This made a very tasty supper! I made a mistake not thinking about tomato sauce, but had diced tomatoes which I blended up and cooked for a while to reduce it a bit. Also used penne since that's what we had on hand. Despite my subs, it was quite tasty and a half recipe fed the two of us for two nights. Thanks for posting. Made for PARTY tag game.
This was really good and very different with the beans in there. It gives it a creamy texture that is pleasing. I used sweet Italian sausage and added chopped onion, fresh tomatoes, red wine, pepper, a little sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce. I used Parmesan instead of Romano and sprinkled it in between each layer, like the mozzarella. Very nice dinner, thanks! Really great leftovers, just as yummy!