I saw this on a cooking show a long time ago - I think it was Ciao Italia, but I'm not sure. It's very easy to make, and the addition of the cannellini beans makes a big difference in taste and heartiness, in my opinion.
- 1 lb ground sausage (I use Sage flavor)
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook sausage with the minced garlic until sausage is not longer pink and crumbled. Drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beans and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Rigatoni according to package directions, just until al dente. Drain and lightly butter.
- Add cooked pasta to the meat sauce and toss until well coated.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with Pam.
- Pour HALF of the pasta mixture in pan; Sprinkle HALF of the mozzarella cheese evenly on top; REPEAT.
- Sprinkle grated Romano cheese on the top. Cover with foil and bake for 20 5- 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crusty garlic bread and a salad.