Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from the local paper. I made it recently, and there were not many leftovers to be had. It's a great recipe to make adjustments to, depending on personal tastes. I added italian sausage that I browned, and it was absolutely delicious. I also increased the recipe by about half, since there were 4 hungry kids to feed as well. Next time I am going to add some mushrooms as well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer (crushing tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon, if using whole tomatoes) until sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni according to package directions.
- Add the drained rigatoni to sauce and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 2 quart casserole and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.