Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a big skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and green pepper until tender.
- Add next 12 ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Toss rigatoni with butter.
- Mix eggs, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir into the rigatoni mixture and transfer to a 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Top with tomato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated well.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
I really enjoyed this dish, as did my family, especially the sauce. It does take a little time to make but it is worth it. Served this with some garlic bread and it was a great meal. Had some for leftovers the next day and it was great. I made this dish, as written, a couple of weeks ago and tonight I am making just the sauce for spaghetti. The only thing I added was some basil, simply because I like it. I will definitely make this again.