Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Martha Stewart. I did modify a bit. Nice pasta dish. I also halved nicely.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- course salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta (I used penne) or 1 lb penne (I used penne)
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar, oregano, and pepper flakes, if using. Salt and pepper.
- Cook until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally about 9 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse under cool water until cool, set aside.
- In medium nonstick skillet, brown sausage and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to break up any large pieces, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain grease and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta with half of the mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- To assemble:
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add half of the pasta in an even layer.
- Spread with 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Spread with ricotta mixture. I found it easier to drop by tablespoons, evenly distributed, and let set for a minute and then it was easier to spread.
- Add sausage.
- Spread 1 cup more sauce over top.
- Top with remaining rigatoni and 1 1/2 cups sauce. Any remaining sauce may be served on the side (I did not have any remaining sauce).
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella over top.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until bubbly 35 to 40 minutes.
Aussie Swap 30: Happynana - this was such a wonderful and hearty meal. I doubled the recipe and divided it amongst 3 pans - 2 went in the freezer!! YUM