Recipe by yammos
a yummy veggie dish with plenty of taste. I've had meatatarians (meat and 3 veg kind of guuys!) try it and they have loved it. I am a little more generous with the dried herbs except for the chili and I add lots more of the fresh coriander and mint And I also add fresh parsley To bulk it up a bit I also add chick peas
Top Review by Dominique353
I didn't have the herbs, only the spices and I didn't put peas or chickpeas in this dish and it was still really good. I had no idea what I was going to do with the ricotta I had in the fridge and this worked perfectly! I will try this again but next time with the green ingredients included!
- 350 g ricotta cheese, baked
- 1 kg fresh peas or 750 g frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped or 270 g canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala (you can buy this in spice section)
- 6 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Baked ricotta:.
- buy a 400-500g (1lb)block of ricotta and cut in halves.
- Wrap both halves in a clean linen tea towel and leave for 30 minutes so moisture is absorbed.
- Place in foil lined baking tray and bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Turn over with spatula and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool and cut into dices.
- Main dish:.
- Shell peas or thaw frozen peas.
- Heat oil in sauce pan and gently fry onion, garlic, ginger until soft, translucent and just turning golden.
- Add ground spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Then add tomatoes, salt and 1 tsp of garam masala.
- Stir, cover and cook until tomatoes can be easily mashed into a pulp.
- Add a little water if mixture sticks to pan.
- Add peas and cook until almost tender.
- Add cheese and half of the fresh herbs and simmer, covered for 10 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Sprinkle remaining garam masala and fresh herbs over.
- Stir well and serve with indian bread or rice.