Recipe by Irmgard
This casserole from Dave Lieberman is cheesy and delicious!
Top Review by Lauren0829
Followed directions exactly, but it was a little too bland for me. I may try again and add ground beef like a previous reviewer. Will also add some spices to my leftovers. It tasted fine, but something was missing.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- 4 cups Baby Spinach, rinsed
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the rigatoni for 5 minutes in a pot of boiling, salted water.
- Drain and toss with the olive oil.
- Set aside.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- Sweat the shallots and garlic for a few minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the flour and stir until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually whisk in the wine and then the milk.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the cooled bechamel to a large mixing bowl and add the spinach, ricotta, and eggs.
- Mix in the rigatoni and transfer to a greased 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Top with the grated mozzarella.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned on top, the centre is no longer runny, and the sides are bubbly.