Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This casserole from Dave Lieberman is cheesy and delicious!
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- 4 cups Baby Spinach, rinsed
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the rigatoni for 5 minutes in a pot of boiling, salted water.
- Drain and toss with the olive oil.
- Set aside.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- Sweat the shallots and garlic for a few minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the flour and stir until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually whisk in the wine and then the milk.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the cooled bechamel to a large mixing bowl and add the spinach, ricotta, and eggs.
- Mix in the rigatoni and transfer to a greased 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Top with the grated mozzarella.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned on top, the centre is no longer runny, and the sides are bubbly.
Followed directions exactly, but it was a little too bland for me. I may try again and add ground beef like a previous reviewer. Will also add some spices to my leftovers. It tasted fine, but something was missing.
Superb, but for my growing family I added 1.5 lb ground beef. It turned out spectacular and seconds were enjoyed all around.