Recipe by Abby Girl
This is a nice, colourful dish with shiitake mushrooms and saffron added. Wonderful with any grilled meats or with a baked fish. If it is possible, use fresh thyme....it so makes the dish!!! Arborio is a sticky rice, so this dish would work very well with a sauce or gravy
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup shiitake mushroom caps, finely chopped (about 4 mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice (or other short-grain rice)
- 2 1⁄2-2 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat olive oil in a 2-quart ovenproof saucepan. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook 5 minutes.
- Add rice, broth, salt, and saffron; bring to a boil.
- Wrap handle of pan with foil; cover and transfer pan to oven. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add parsley and thyme.
- Note: This rice serves up very well if you are having a sauce/gravy. If not, plan on using the full 2-3/4 cup of broth.