Recipe by bmcnichol
This makes a big hearty casserole.
Top Review by NurseJaney
Just pulled this out my old binder, to prepare tonight ! This has been a staple for several years, and is very forgiving of ingredient adjustments. When it is just the 2 of us, it halves easily, plus sufficient for another meal. It is a tasty side when the crowd is all here -- and is not "overly" rice-y. Thanks for posting, b.
- 2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup dry chicken noodle soup mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat and drain.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add dry soup mix.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Stir in canned soup, rice and sausage mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Toss bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.