Recipe by Manami
The nice thing about baked rice pudding is that you can make it the night before to enjoy for a special breakfast the next day. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream & a sprinkle of cinnamon if you like. The recipe is the courtesy of Gale Gand - 2003 - Food Network
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Delicious!I used vanilla extract. I did put a twist on the recipe. I soaked the dried apricots in some amaretto and turned them for about 1/2 hour. I also placed the baking dish in a shallow pan of hot water while baking. I baked for 30 minutes. We are high altitude.
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain rice, rinse till clear (Arborio)
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup diced dried apricot
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise & scraped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a covered heavy saucepan, bring the rice,milk, apricots, vanilla scrapings, and lemon zest to simmer over medium heat.
- Immediately reduce the heat to as low as possible, cover tightly, & simmer gently; stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender, 20-25 minutes & turn off.
- Stir the sugar into the cooked rice mixture.
- Stir in the egg yolks.
- Pour the rice pudding into a greased baking dish and bake for 20 mintues until slightly browned on the top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Chill until ready to serve.