1/7 Photos of Baked Rice Pudding (Unni Riisipuuro)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Based on a recipe from Beatrice Ojakangas' cookbook, The Finnish Cookbook. If I said that I love this recipe, it may be my taste buds, heavily influenced by the Finnish-American culture in which I grew up! To me and my visiting brother, this is divine! As an added bonus, my brother researched foods that help one with quality sleep, and this is among them! :) Will my DH eat this -- not on his life! He did taste it though, so he knows what he's missing! NOTE: In its introduction, Beatrice explains, "At Christmastime, a blanched almond is often pressed into this pudding before it is served, and it is said that the person who gets it will have good luck during the following year."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook rice according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- 2Combine milk, melted butter, sugar, eggs, and salt.
- 3Stir in the rice and pour into a well-buttered 2-quart casserole.
- 4Combine the sliced almonds and cinnamon and sprinkle over the pudding.
- 5Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees Farenheit) for about 1 hour or until the pudding has thickened sufficiently.
- 6Press the whole almond into the pudding and cover the mark left.
- 7Serve either hot or chilled with the light cream to pour over it.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Rice Pudding (Unni Riisipuuro)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 297.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g