Recipe by Laura2of7
Custard style. Adapted from "Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book". This could also be baked in 6 1-cup ramekins - just reduce baking time to about 45 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 1 dash nutmeg (freshly-grated, if possible)
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar, salt and cinnamon. Beat in eggs just to mix.
- In small saucepan, scald milk. Add small amount to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Slowly add remaining milk to egg mixture until well incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla, rice and raisins.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole and set into a pan of hot water coming 1 inch up the side of the casserole.
- Pour pudding mixture into casserole and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes (until a knife inserted into center comes out clean).
- Serve warm, with cream (if desired).